5.08.2011

Saturday at Lady Bird Lake. And stuff.

public piano on the pedestrian bridge in downtown Austin.

Love this crazy city.  As an art piece, these fully tuned and playable "art" pianos are cropping up all over downtown Austin.  People are encouraged to sit down and play.  I was downtown shooting a few cityscapes,  I need to drop one into the background of a portrait.  The bridge is my favorite place to start.   I was traveling "light" with the 1Dmk2n and the 24-105L.  Nice combo.  Nice files.

Wedding?  Prom? Graduation?

There's a great spot for downtown shots right next to the Palmer Auditorium.  The city made a hill there and people go up and look across the lake at the buildings.  I was heading there to fill in my needed shots when I saw this mass of people rushing about on top of the hill with lights flashing.  The guy in front of the lightstand with the shorts is the photographer.  I never figured out what the event was but he had a nice angle working and his fill flash seemed pretty well thought out.  I shot some BHS shots and moved on......





I never saw this reflection in the glass of the Long Center before.  I guess I just wasn't paying attention.
That's it for the Saturday blog.  Why didn't I post a "walking around Austin Sunday blog?"  Well,  truth be told I spent the afternoon painting four paintings on beautifully gessoed canvas.  One is an instant winner.  Two are honorable mentions and the fourth gets scrapped and earns a "do over."  It's fun and purging and challenging and different to paint instead of photograph.  But not so fun to blog about.....

4 comments:

Bold Photography said...

Of course, there's the 'howl' of 'where are the photos of the paintings??' (grin)...

Even my stick figures can paint better stick figures than I can...

Those look like senior or more likely prom photos to me... but who knows in this town!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hey Bold Guy!

I'm working on the paintings. I think I'm supposed to hang them at the big Starbucks near my house on Saturday. I'll let you know when they're up and we can meet for coffee and laugh at the art. It's kind of a tradition.

I have a show of work up at Trianon right now. Today. As we speak. But it's all photography. Love the people at Trianon, they've got an artist agreement and everything. And they like to hang the show. Something I think of as a chore.

As soon as the Trianon people finalize the hanging I thought I'd send out a big invite and have a coffee "happy hour" opening. See you there?

Kirk

Dave said...

My question was what kind of battery pack the photographer was using :)

Walking and shooting is awesome. Funny how many different flavors this hobby/profession can have. From full on pro to zen like strolling and experiential bliss.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Looked like an older Lumedyne pack to me...