10.17.2010

Kirk Tuck and the Butthole Surfers.

They couldn't say the name of the band on the radio here in Austin so they referred to the band as the "BH" Surfers.  I photographed them for Spin Magazine.  And again for Rough Trade Records.  They came to the studio and we shot for a while and then we headed out to do the largely cliched railroad tracks and urban downtown shots.  Later I did the album cover for Paul Leary's,  "The History of Dogs."  Just came across these photos and thought I would show them and try to dispel the notion that I've only shot stodgy, corporate work.  Loved the 1990's.  Everything was up for grabs.

That's all for now,   I'm going to go find "Hairway to Steven".   One of my BHS favorites.

Shot mostly on a Pentax 67 with a few rolls of 35mm thrown in.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I follow your blog from this summer and love your way to speak of humans on both sides of the camera.
Thanks to share the grunge side!

Thibaud from France

Bill Millios said...

Love it. I did a double-take when I saw the title of the post - I thought it was going to be a rant. I was "relieved" when I found out it was the name of a band.

Kind of a strange band name to be relieved about, I guess.

Robert said...

Strange I was just thinking about them and now I saw your post.

Orchard Light said...

Ahh, high school memories for me.

Nathan Black said...

Oh! They look so young there!

Paulo Rodrigues said...

The first time I heard this band was on the John Peel show on the radio when I was about 15 or 16 years old.

I hope your shoot wasn't anything like the stage show!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Better or worse, depending on how you look at it.