7.17.2015

Oh Gosh! Do you think that lens is sharp enough? Do I need an ART lens? Do I need to get that Otus lens? Will people make fun of me if I'm not using an "L" lens? Will the "gold ring" make my image better? But what about cameras? Which one......



Match up the leaf crop below with its position in the image above...

The answer to everything is: "Yes." But only if I'm the seller and you are the buyer.

(spoiler: twenty year old lens. third party. my cost? $120. Is is sharp enough? ---- Duh.)

7 comments:

Noons said...

Amen! Couldn't agree more!
I'm soooo fed-up with all the pixel-peeping going on in the name of photography...

Unknown said...

:-)

(not much of a comment I know, but that's how I felt!)

DrMickey said...

Kirk,
It may be a cheepo lens but it did a fine job (Gee...nice photo! You must have a cheap lens!). But just remember what the auctioneer said: "The more you pay for it, the more it's worth"!

Antonio Ramirez said...

Is this with the 105mm 2.5? I hope so, because I just bought one based, in no small measure, on your write-up on the lens. Still waiting for it to arrive, though.

Keep up the superb writing!

typingtalker said...

It's silly to evaluate a lens based on one image at one aperture in one situation with an unknown amount of editing.

Dave said...

My old AI converted 55mm f/3.5 Nikkor beats ever other lens I've had for overall resolution. Cost me $65 on Ebay. My Nikon 75-150mm f/3.5 cost me about the same and comes within a whisker of the highly acclaimed 70-200mm VR. Oddly it was one of my favorite lenses for the GH2 when I had it.

Russ said...

OK, I'll play... my guess is Nikon 25-50 f4 AIS?