4.25.2016

A few years back with yet another small camera...


One of my early forays into small, mirrorless cameras was a dip into the Nex line from Sony. The Nex 6 was a pretty decent body with a 16 megapixel camera but my favorite was the Nex 7. The finder was good, the dual dials were good and the low ISO, 24 megapixel performance was great!

There were a few downsides that led me to move on. One was the horrible state of the menus in those two cameras. It was sheer chaos. And the main issue I had with the Nex-7 was its temperamental interaction with various wider lenses. Magenta splotches were rampant and the edges of most legacy wide angles were soft. When you piled on with lots of noise at 800 ISO and above you essentially were working with a compromised camera. That being said, it was a nice shooting machine if you stuck to normal and longer lenses and worked in the same, basic fashion most of the time.

I've recently bought a Sony a6000 and an a6300 and I'm loving them. The menus are much better and the sensors are leaps and bounds better. My one wish? I'd love body with the dual dials we had on the Nex-7 camera. Those felt great and were quick and functional. It was an elegant design.


2 comments:

fixedshadow said...

Have you tried the FujiFilm Xpro-2? Dials galore, and high ISO performance to boot. I just rented one from Lensrentals for a vacation and left my much heavier D800 bag at home. Loved the Fuji, and my shoulder thanked me...

Bumpy said...

Wow, I have the same wish. Went from nex7 to a7rii and as much as I love the a7rii I pine for the nex7 dials, makes shooting fully manual so easy. Of course on the nex7 iq dropped so fast as iso increased that you almost had to shoot manual. Having developed the habit I still shoot manual, but a7rii is awkward, the top dial is stiff, awkward to shift to front finger dial and exposure comp dial is a waste of space for manual. Would love to have a nex7 with the iso capability of the a7rii.....

Then again what a privilege to complain of such trivia, would be better to spend the energy applying the tools I have and improving the weakest link in the chain. So much to learn and practice, thanks for all you share on this blog.