1.22.2018

Partially Off Topic. But a nod to two new pieces of equipment now being zero'd in...


I don't know the first thing about probate law but my attorney does. I got up this morning at 5:30am and stumbled into the ole Honda CRV and made my way to San Antonio, Texas to meet my elder law attorney at the Bexar, county courthouse, just across from the very photogenic and historic St. Fernando Cathedral. I answered a few questions in front of a judge, made a few statements under oath and am now the designated guy to wind down my mom's financial affairs and to be the guardian for my father. Interesting times and something I wasn't quite anticipating as the big starter for 2018.

I raced back to Austin and in seven minutes I have to stop typing and go meet 14 oral surgeons who need to be photographed; individually and as a group.

In gear news I bought a Benro monopod with an S4 video head. It's one of those monopods with the little feet on the bottom. I have high hopes for increased portability but with stable results. We'll see. More to come after I use it on a project Thurs.

The other piece of gear that arrived yesterday is really, really cool. It's the Rokinon 50mm f1.2 lens for cropped frame cameras. It's not a full frame lens but it is a lens that's sharp wide open and so far looks very promising. I'll shoot with it this evening and then next weekend at a theater rehearsal and then we'll chat about it.

Hope everyone is having a crisp, happy and productive Monday. Time's up. Out the door to shoot some......

2 comments:

Alex said...

I own two of differently sized ones of these Benro Monopods with swiveling feet. Together with the cast-iron Manfrotto 234 a very suitable and low cost solution for macro photography in parcs etc., where mobility is an issue, too.

Unfortunately, my lovely wooden Berlebach wont collapse far down enough for this purpose.

(BTW, a heavy duty knee cushion, as worn from professionell floor tilers, is always with me when doing the monopod/macro thing. My knees got old, too. ;) )

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirk,

I was wondering how the Benro monopod worked out. I am thinking about buying one. BH had it yesterday for $149. I haven't checked today, but that seems like a pretty good price. Thanks for the info.

Robert